Here'a my 2010 wishlist for Tollygunge- the hub of Bangla cinema.
1. Sri Venkatesh Films continues dabbling in alternative cinema (starting again after years with Iti Mrinalini , and Autograph in the pipeline) and does a good job of it.
2. Raj Chakraborty and Anjan Dutta turn successful producers.
3. The industry gets a handful of good writers in mainstream cinema.
4. (By some strange twist of luck) Rrishii Kaushik is cast as Feluda in Jato Kando Kathmandute- the next Feluda flick to be shot this year.
5. Shantanu Moitra makes more music. Pherari mon and Jao pakhi are refusing to go out of the system.
6. Radhika Apte comes back to act in more films. Her Antaheen debut has left a mark that no other fresher has been able to match in a long time.
7. Saran Dutta's Thana Theke Aschhi doesn't take long to release. Those who liked his Shikar (2006) are finding the wait for his next movie endless.
8. Mainak Bhaumik gets on the floor to shoot his next film as a 'director'. It's too sad the 'Aamra' director has to wait for this long to start his next film (Machh, Mishti and More- a sequel to The Bong Connection that he edited).
9. Deserving Bengali films get prime time shows in the multiplexes regularly.
10. More directors who know their craft (after Raj Chakraborty), are hardworking and focussed join Bangla mainstream cinema taking it to an aspirational level of entertainment.