The flavour of Kolkata

The flavour of Kolkata
The city is known for its old alleys. One such is shot by Atanu Pal.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Chamosa: End of road

Pantaoon's offering Chamosa, a new pan-Indian chain of snack counters that serves varieties of chai (tea) and samosas, clubbed with sandwiches and other savouries, is reported to be closing shop in the city. A friend messaged today that today is the last day before the chain downs shutters on the face of mounting losses, as he came to know on his visit to the Chamosa kiosk at Rabindra Sadan metro station. Surprise it was to me, but all the more to the staff manning the kiosk, who came to know the shocking news today only.

I have precisely two experiences with Chamosa. Both with its outlet at Big Bazaar VIP Rd. In the first I had ordered for a glass of a soft drink from the fountain, and what I was served had anything but what one can call taste. Something must be wrong with the fountain, I thought and threw away the glass after a couple of painful sips. The second was just day before yesterday, I was hungry but no meal matching my choice and budget was available in the Vishal Megamart food court on VIP Rd. So I went to the close by Chamosa stall again and ordered a chilli paneer roll. I am fond of the same thing from Monginis and chose a safe bet at Chamosa. Well, it was awful. There was hardly any taste of chilli and the paneer tasted plain, and not spicy as expected.

Naturally unlike a patron (?) I am not hurt at the fate of Chamosa, but wish Pantaloons were a little bit patient with the new chain. The concept was spot on, what went wrong was the execution. Pricing was also not right, with some items just not moderately priced. All this could have been corrected. Wish the chain comes back in a better avatar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please do not post any abusive comments here. All comments will be moderated before publishing.